Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Works for Me Wednesday: Curling Iron Quick Press

I need a little more structure in my life, or at least my blog, so I'm going to try participating in some of the weekly linked postings. Today will be my first attempt at Works For Me Wednesday, created by Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer.

I enjoy ironing, really I do, but only if I have lots of time to do it perfectly and nothing else more pressing (pun intended, sorry!). But I don't like to pull out the ironing board, set up the iron, wait for it to heat, wait for it to cool down, and put it all away. If I could just leave everything out, I'd probably have a much more polished appearance. But I don't have room, and polished is not a term I've ever heard applied to myself!

As it is, I'm generally comfortable with a few wrinkles. However, I really don't like it when the plackets of shirts don't lay flat, and they never seem to come out of the dryer in wash-n-wear shape. So I've discovered a quick fix. A well-heated curling iron will work wonders on a crumpled shirt placket. Just place the placket in the curling iron and slide the iron slowly down the length of the shirt two or three times. You have to be a little careful on the side with buttons, because you wouldn't want to melt plastic buttons, but repositioning the curling iron between buttons is a lot less trouble than dragging out the whole ironing board! If the collar of the shirt just isn't laying quite right, you can fix that with the curling iron, too. I've mostly used this trick with 100% cotton shirts, so you might need to test it on the hem of a synthetic or silk shirt to be sure the temperature of the curling iron wasn't too hot. But all in all, it's a quick way to shape up my wardrobe! It works for me!

Find more great tips today at Rocks in My Dryer!

6 Comments:

Blogger janiners said...

I would never have thought about that, but that is a great idea! I am one of those that like to have unwrinkled clothes (at least in the mornings BEFORE work), but I, too, hate dragging out the ironing board and I don't plan ahead - like the night before. I'm going to try this out for sure! thanks for sharing it!

10:17 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I hate ironing. Really, I do. This might work in a pinch, but I normally just don't wear clothes that need ironing.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Chilihead2 said...

THAT is a great idea. I haven't had a curling iron for about 20 years, but I bet I'd find a cheap one just for this use!

11:36 AM  
Blogger Plain Jane Mom said...

What a great idea! Of course, I'd have to have a curling iron to try this. And nice shirts. And the ability to not burn myself with a hot metal object at 6:00 in the morning.

Second thought, I'm not coordinated enough for this one. Still a great idea, but I'm not up to the task.

I salute your womanliness!!

12:38 PM  
Blogger amelia said...

Ok, now that is a hilariously creative idea!! I'm so terrible at burning myself with the curling iron too! :)

12:39 PM  
Blogger Larae said...

Great idea!

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home